Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Last week of class...Giving Rambo a run for his money...Graduation party...Dinner on the grounds...



Our last week of class here at Ole Miss came with mixed feelings for me, sad because it means we're going to have to start saying goodbye to some really good friends but happy because it means we're beginning a new adventure really soon!

Our classes this week tended to be pretty laid back which was nice as we had two tests to study for, the first being on Tuesday night finishing off our classroom management course and the second on Friday for Dr Chessin based around the curriculum and managing the classroom effectively. I was pleased to receive marks back for my classroom management showcase where I achieved 100% for the Berenstain Bears! In our final Special Ed classes we completed presentations based on different learning strategies for people with special educational needs, we got a nice surprise discovering we were exempt from the final due to an A grade from previous results.

The class however I was most sad about saying goodbye too was our Early Education class in Willie Price, over the past few months we have built up a really strong relationship with both the children and the teachers. I have loved my time with the Bunny class and getting to know each of the children's individual personalities so well made it hard to leave on Thursday. This week the theme was 'Magnificent Moms' and so our activities ranged from planting flowers to taking pitcures. On my last day with the class Miss University brought a special treat of a Sundae Party and so we all ate ice-cream and I enjoyed spending time with my class one last time. In our final reflection paper which was to be submitted this week I talked about how value the experience had been for me and how Willie Price runs a really efficient programme for young learners.




The highlight from this week took place on Wednesday when Ruth and I had the opportunity to 'man up' as we learnt our AK 47 from our Smith and Wessen and our Browning Buckmark from our M4! A very typical Southern thing is to own a gun and we have made friends with some people who definately could give Rambo a run for his money with all of their guns! They decided it was about time us Northern Irish girls learnt a thing or two and so we spent the afternoon shooting at different targets using different guns. I really enjoyed it and felt like I had definately stepped down a level on the girly scale! It was another cultural experience to add to our ever increasing list and I look forward to impressing the few people I know who can decipher good guns about my experience in Mississippi! I will however remember for the next time not to wear a hoodie as I found the metal that came off the bullets kept getting caught in my hood and burning my neck...maybe it'll take longer than I thought to be in a Diehard movie...!

On Thursday night we leveled ourselves out by spending the night in Tupelo on another shopping adventure. It was fun to be in another part of town and discover new stores, we made the mistake however of leaving it a little late to go into the Mall and so I was left stuck in the Abercrombie changing room when the music shut off and they were starting to lock up!!

I enjoyed my last weekend here in Oxford spending Friday night with some really good friends and then on Saturday attending another good friends graduation party. It was nice to be a part of our friends day amid the tornado warnings and torential rain! Her Uncle gave a ridiculous speech which included a clip of her singing when she was four and there were plenty of embarassing photos around. On Sunday we attended College Hill Presbyterian for the final time, it was great to be back here and was especially nice as after the service they had 'Dinner on the grounds' were lunch was provided by the church. It was a blessing to be part of this and spend time eating with friends, there was so much food however that I thought I was going to burst! It will definately be detox time when I get home!

Looking forward to my final week in Oxford, seeing friends and then heading on to the next stage...it's hard to believe where the time has gone however!







No comments:

Post a Comment